Saturday, August 26, 2006

New Range - Lady of Shalott

I've started a new range - Myth and Legend. It was inspired by my friend Alison who suggested the name "The Lady of Shalott" for one of my necklaces. I didn't think the name was quite right for that particular necklace, but loved the name so decided to make one to fit the name:

" Willows whiten, aspens quiver,
Little breezes dusk and shiver
Through the wave that runs for ever
By the island in the river
Flowing down to Camelot.
Four grey walls, and four grey towers,
Overlook a space of flowers,
And the silent isle imbowers
The Lady of Shalott."
(excerpt from The Lady of Shalott by Alfred Lord Tennyson)

This beautiful painting by John William Waterhouse is the inspiration for the necklace:

I wanted the greens from the picture but also some purples, lilacs, and hints of white. Below is the result:


The detailed shot above shows the amount of beads that has gone into this necklace. There are more different beads in there then I could mention without putting everyone to sleep. Enough to say it took a long time to put together and I've used very few beads more than once (mainly seedbeads and Magatamas). Okay, I'll mention a few: Czech faceted beads in emeralds and greens, Picasso beads in lilac and lavender, Giverny beads in moss greens and purples, Cloisonne beads in green and purple, lots and lots of Swarovski bicone beads in emerald, peridot, amethyst, and light amethyst, real amethyst and lace agate, and plum coloured lustred stone chip beads, loads of glass beads in all shades of green and purple, seedbeads, and daggers and drops.

The necklace is so beautiful, and I think my best yet. In fact, it's so lovely that I can't bear to part with it, so it's mine, mine, MINE!!! :-)

HOWEVER, don't despair, I am going to make more in this range. I've already decided to make one for Titania, Queen of Fairy, the Snow Queen, and Undine. There is also a very vague idea to make one for the Queen or Goddess of the Night, Selene, and possibly one for Isis. I am sure I can think of more. Any suggestions are welcome. Don't hold your breath, though, as the Lady of Shalott took me around 4.5 to 5 hours to make.

2 comments:

  1. wow- that looks really amazing- absolutely right too =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colours are beautiful, and its great to see the inspirational painting! Penny.

    ReplyDelete

Listen to Cambridge 105 FM

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...