Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Spring in Paris II - Spectacle Chain

I was asked to make a spectacle chain in a design similar to my Spring in Paris necklace. It's one of my favourite necklaces I've made. I thought it was time that I showed you how much effort and attention to detail goes in each of my jewellery designs. Here's the original Spring in Paris necklace, however, because I never replicate any of my designs exactly, I made a few changes.

In both cases I started off with a handmade verdigris finish for the vintage brass filigree:


 Here you can see the verdigris finish with a layer of varnish to protect it:
The organza flower is an integral part of the design. Here are the petals, cut and singed, ready to go onto the filigree.
Next, I selected the beads I wanted to use in the design. I always mix them up in a bowl so I can see how they all go together. Once I am happy with the mix I start putting it all together.
Here's a closeup of the mix. I've used fabric covered beads, vintage lucite and glass, jade, ceramic wood, paper beads and beads with all sorts of finishes and textures.
Here I've laid them out on a beading mat. You can see that I have started assembling the beads.
 This is the finished spectacle chain. Complete with little loops to attach to the glasses.
A detail picture.
A design like this takes me around 5 hours inlcuding all the prep work but excluding drying times and choosing the beads.
This design was a commission but Spring in Paris (necklace) is still available and I am happy to make other designs for you based on a previous design or on colour schemes etc. Please use the contact button at the top to send me a mail for more details.

I've also made some rings but haven't taken any pictures yet. I'll post them soon. :-)

2 comments:

  1. I love it!! And your method is very much like mine with yarns instead of beads! I love all the different colors and textures you use! xo Cait

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so organised! Although come to think of it, I do pretty much the same. Lovely work - I really like the verdigris effect too.

    ReplyDelete

Listen to Cambridge 105 FM

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...